Tuesday, February 11, 2014

"The Selection" by Kierra Cass

So recently I finished "The Selection" by Kierra Cass. I didn't want to read it when I first saw it. I looked at it and knew it was going to be terrible, but for some reason I told myself that I was going to read it anyway. I'm sad to say I was right.
So, if you've never heard of "The Selection", which a great number of you probably haven't, it's the story of this dystopian world in which there is a caste system, and every time they have a prince who is old enough to marry they go through this process called the selection to determine who he is going to marry. Now America is our main character, and she's a five, and she's hopeless in love with this random guy named Aspen, who's a six. She's good at music. She enters the selection to be allowed to save money to marry Aspen who brutally breaks up with her the night before she gets chosen for this program. She meets Maxon, who is super cute, and stoic, but still awkward. They get attacked by these rebels. A lot of people leave. Maxon whines about his feelings, America starts to have feelings. Suddenly out of the blue a wild Aspen appears and America feels all conflicted about shit, and they make out again, even though it's against the rules. More rebel attacks, and suddenly America is one of six girls left and Maxon is saying that if it were simple he would've married her a long time ago. America then whines about how she doesn't know what she's doing but is happy about being in the top six
Now let me talk about why I hate this plot so much. It isn't because I could pick up any dystopian novel in the young adult section and find a lot of similar plot points. It's not that there are no real interesting moments to this book, only long periods of dull exchanges supposed to cause tension. Well, those play a part in it  but really, I hate it because there are so many plot points that are just left there, I mean you could probably write an entire book using the barely started plot lines. The rebel plot line is just stuck in there with no real purpose. So is the caste system, like I can't even tell who is who and I don't know how one moves castes but we know it is possible, I don't actually understand why it was there. And there is nothing redeeming about the entire Aspen plot line.
I'm going to talk about the characters now. This paragraph will be about America, and the next one will be about Maxon, and then I will write a third paragraph about everyone else. Now, America is such a stock character it hurts slightly. She has bright red hair (why I hate the exotic red head stock character is another rant for another time) and she is happy with what she has. And she's snarky and spunky. Oh, and she loves Aspen and has romantic feelings for Maxon. That's a complete summary of her character. Can you see why I don't like her?
Maxon is a whole other beast because he almost has less development that America. He loves America, but that is about it. Oh, and he does nice things occasionally. That's it.
The other characters exist. A few of them are nice, most of them aren't. Aspen loves America. That's all I can write about them.
This book isn't very good. It just seems to not actually care about itself. It just exists. But being the person I am, I will read the others because I hate unfinished stories. But you fair reader should not read this book.

UP NEXT: Hush, Hush: Becca Fitzpatrick.

No comments:

Post a Comment